Monday, September 27, 2010

I Canned, I Peeled, I Preserved!

Let me start out by saying that somehow I've become obsessed with canning. I NEVER knew there were so many possibilities with what you could can, and now that I do, watch out mason jars! I'm coming for you!

I got started last year when a co-worker taught me the art, but I was a bit turned off with how long the process took. Lo and behold, you DON'T have to peel each individual peach with a knife--there's an EASIER and more EFFICIENT way to do it. **This technique doesn't work with all fruits, but it does with peaches** You just put a bunch of peaches in boiling water for 30-60 seconds and then dip them in cold water and VOILA--the skins come right off!

With this little tid bit of knowledge under my belt this year, canning became a delight, and even Spencer wanted in. It is somehow therapeutic for me. I love working with my hands and i've always loved cooking. And if I can save a buck in the process by canning my own stuff, count me in! :) We've finished now 14 quarts and have 2 more to go! Now on to apples, then strawberry jam (i'm cheating and buying the strawberries from Costco instead of a local vendor), and then some homemade salsa. If anyone wants in, lemme know! :)

For now, i'm enjoying the sound of popping lids. What a nice sound that is. :)

2 comments:

Stephanie Crandall said...

I LOVE IT! when I was at home for the 2 week break my mom and I make 3 different pickels and some relish and some delicious jams and jellies! ahh! I love going home to raide our fruit room! So glad you are enjoying canning! {♥}

Gloria said...

You are awesome!! I only wish some of your awesomeness would rub off on me! Way to go!! :)