Sunday, November 9, 2008

Marriage is Sacred

With so many opinions floating around about whether or not gay marriage is right/wrong, I would just like to remind all my friends (especially my LDS friends) what the prophet of God has said. This is not a new doctrine--in fact, this doctrine has even been set since the days of Sodom and Gomorrah. Anyone who has gained a testimony of the church then believes that there is a living prophet on earth who speaks on God's behalf. And anyone who believes there is a prophet here on earth should also believe that his words are then considered "living scripture" which is EVEN more important than the standard works because it applies to us in our own time. In many instances, the prophets have spoken on the sanctity of marriage and how Satan's biggest attack will be on the family. Because the prophets have said it better than I have, here are some links that capture just how important marriage between a man and a woman is.

http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beliefs/the-restoration-of-truth/the-gospel-blesses-families-and-individuals and http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,FF.html

Hope this helps any of my friends who may be confused on the church's doctrine. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I 100% agree, and in my own state I voted four years ago to define marriage as one man and one woman in my state.

However, I believe we need to be careful in how we proselytize that belief. The principle between the 11th Article of Faith is at work here; if we claim the priviledge of practicing our beliefs, we need to allow everyone the same priviledge. I don't imagine that Joseph Smith meant anything about gay marriage when he said that, but I think the principle is still the same.

Disagreeing with the choices that others make does not obviate our need to love them, of course. Living in a more liberal state than Utah (or Texas) I've had to practice that doctrine more than I anticipated.

Erin said...

Of course it is still our duty to love them while at the same time not condoning their practices. I had many gay friends back in Texas, and I loved them as individuals and respected them, but didn't necessarily agree with their lifestyles. You make a good point, Josh. We're allowed to practice our religion and everyone has the privilege to practice what they believe too. However, just because they have the agency to do so does not make that choice right.