Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Developmental Milestone

This weekend was a not so great one--I was pretty sick over much of the weekend. Luckily, Spencer was here to nurse me back to health by making his amazing homemade chicken noodle soup. Not only that, but he was at my side and catering to every request all weekend long! Talk about an amazing husband!! Consequently, however, my being sick got little Maddie sick as well. The poor girl is super stuffed up and is having a hard time breathing through her nose--of course I feel responsible for it since I should have shown more restraint and kept my distance from her--but you've seen her!! She's super irresistible!! So when she wakes up during the middle of the night for whatever reason, I automatically think it's because she can't breathe and I rush into her room... :( Spencer, however, hasn't gotten sick, and i'm VERY thankful for that. I'm glad at least one of us is healthy and can get things done around the house, etc.

On the upside, Maddie had her first helping of rice cereal this week. Our doctor said we shouldn't give her any until 6 months, but EVERYONE i've talked with said they had their babies eating rice cereal at 4 months. So, of course, temptation set in, and we fed some to her last night! All I can say is--how entertaining! :) Most of us don't remember having to learn to eat from a spoon, but all of us did--and it was MESSY!!! Here are a couple of snap shots after the entire feeding (i'm thinking she got more on her bib and face than in her mouth!

She's also learning how to feed herself with only a little help from mom. She is so interested in using her hands and she's realized that her hands can do several things, like holding her own bottle. :) Our little girl is growing up...sniff sniff..


And here's the first few minutes of her first EVER cereal feeding...it goes on for a while, but you'll notice that she gets impatient when she has to wait for the next bite--she's used to eating until SHE decides she's done. Halfway through her cereal, she was getting SO frustrated that we let her eat her bottle and then resumed the cereal at a later time. (So forgive the whining she does in between bites at times--she hasn't been feeling too good). Still adorable, though :)

(Video coming soon...Wouldn't let me upload it)


It's fast how quickly they grow up. Now, i know that Maddie isn't super old, but i feel like time has flown. We were looking at pictures of her when she was a tiny newborn, and it's crazy how many physical and developmental changes there are between birth and even five months!! It's sad to me that she's not a little newborn anymore, and every day she seems to want more independence--i'm not ready!!! I guess now i understand why people have more than just one child, not that i'm planning on having any more any time soon...But the memories are sweet, and I have thoroughly enjoyed these last five months of being a mommy. I reccommend it to all :)

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

she sure is cute. Hope you guys are doing well!

April said...

Erin, I gave my guys rice cereal for the first time this week too! How fun. I found your blog on Gloria's list. Aren't we all excited that she's joined the ranks?? Oh, and thanks for your help/advice with the formula. Things are going great now. I look forward to seeing you when I come to UT for 2 weeks in Dec. Maybe our little ones will be best friends :-)

MegEveryday said...

i can't wait to be a mom! haha. i'm sorry you were sick..i hope you are feeling better!