Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lost in Kohls...


For my birthday, many of my family members got together and worked out a plan to give me a shopping spree at Kohls for a much needed new wardrobe (thanks again!). Upon our arrival at the store, we found that Maddie wasn't quite digging the whole shopping experience, at least not from her stroller. Being the good daddy and husband that he is, Spencer tackled the big job of trying to keep Maddie entertained while I tried on clothes in the fitting room. After a few moments in the dressing room, I got a panicked call from Spencer explaining to me that Maddie was AWOL!! She wasn't enjoying being in her stroller, so he thought taking her out and letting her walk around would help. However, upon putting her down, Maddie bolted into the nearest clothing area and disappeard (as a side note, Maddie doesn't walk anymore--she RUNS and runs fast). As he told me this, my half dressed self sprinted out of the fitting room to join Spencer in the search. I can't explain to you how heavy my heart was as I thought about the possibilities of what might happen in the moments she was not under our supervision. I quickly went to the front of the store to alert the employees of a missing child--they alerted the other employees of the "code yellow" and all of us, including the employees at the store, were on the hunt for Madisen. A few minutes later, Spencer called to tell me that he had found Maddie in the shoe department! The little fashionista had found her way into the shoes and was happily occupying herself by looking around at the endless possibilities of SHOES!


Don't get me wrong--at the time, I was mortified and so worried! But looking back now, Spencer and I giggle at our fashion conscious little girl who loves her shoes (and accessories, and purses, and makeup, and clothes, etc, etc, etc.) and is willing to get lost in a store (or at least lose her parents) in an effort to see some shoes. Needless to say, Maddie will be less of a participant in shopping until she understands more. However, I can't wait to share in those experiences of shopping with her. But for now, I think it's safe to say that she will stay at home the next time Mommy wants to shop...and i'm sure Daddy won't mind either. :)


5 comments:

Gloria said...

OH MY GOSH!!! As I was reading this story I'm pretty sure my heart started beating FASTER!! I can only imagine that whole scenario!! And then having Spencer find her just browsing thru the shoe section not thinking twice about her parents! I'm glad everyone can laugh about it now!! :) I'm sure all parents go thru the losing a child phase...thank goodness it wasn't at Disneyland or in some wide open spaces!! phew!

megan b. said...

what a scary scary moment. my heart gets all jumpy and out of rhythm when i lose halle in our house. i am soo soo glad everything turned out okay. and halle would have been in the same section of that store.

kathy w. said...

Oh my goodness. I would have died. Looks like she's a woman who already knows what she wants.

Misti said...

FREAKY huh! Kylee ditched my in JC Penny's when she was 18 months. I am so distraught I had to leave the store...full cart and all. Glad you found her! Next time you come over I'll leave my shoes in plain sight!!

Cheri said...

Grace is my runner and she is wicked fast! She has never been lost in a store to the point of notifying employees however. How scary! (She did hide in a pool locker once perfectly silent for over 5 minutes though while I was completely flipping out!) I had to get Grace one of those backpacks with a leash on it. I always thought I would never be one of "those" parents. I thought it was just a manner of properly training your child, but I have since realized that is not the case. It is all about your child's personality. That leash really made all the difference especially when it is just me and 2 kids! Fortunately, Grace turning 3 has toned her down a lot. However, I still keep the leash in the car just in case we are having one of those days.